akt_5

Prof. Peter H. Katjavivi: The Significance of the Repatriation of Namibian Human Skulls

Katjavivi

When the information about a number of human skulls at various German institutions was disclosed to me in 2008, shortly after I returned from being Namibia’s Ambassador in Berlin, I spoke out publicly about the need to have these human remains returned to Namibia. The revelation came in a German television documentary and there has been a great deal of discussion in the media since then, as well as exchanges of communications between the Namibian and German governments. This led to the confirmation by the German institutions, including the Medical History Museum at the Charité teaching hospital in Berlin, and Freiburg University, that they did indeed have a number of Namibian skulls. Their admission resulted in the German government agreeing to assist in the repatriation process.

For young Germans, who know little about the colonial war fought by the German forces in Namibia, this news was surprising. For young Namibians, this news created a point of further discourse about German–Namibia relations. This has aroused demands that the events of the past be more fully addressed.

Markus Frenzel, a German television reporter of ARD, has brought further information to light stating that: “it is believed that a total of at least 300 Herero skulls were taken to Germany in the early 20th century.” However, it is likely that we are talking about skulls not only of Hereros but also Namas, Damaras and San.  read more...

Go to top