akt_5

Stolen Moments – Namibian Music History Untold

Ausstellung in Stuttgart noch bis 21. November 2021

Am 11. Oktober 2021, eröffnete Botschafter Martin Andjaba die Ausstellung Stolen Moments - Namibian History Untold im Projektraum Kunstverein Wagenhalle in Stuttgart. 

Hierunter sehen Sie von links nach rechts Botschafter Martin Andjaba mit der Kuratorin der Ausstellung, Frau Aino Moongo und während seiner Rede. Auf dem großen Foto darunter wird der Herr Botschafter von John Liebenbergs Kindern willkommen geheißen.

Amb stolen moments

Amb stolen moments resizeAmb Liebenbergs children

Die Ausstellung Stolen Moments – Namibian Music History Untold – erzählt die Geschichte der namibischen Populär-Musik der 50er bis 80er Jahre, die vom südafrikanischen Apartheidregime zensiert und unmöglich gemacht wurde.

Sie nannten sich The Dead Wood, Rocking Kwela Boys, Children Of Pluto, #Kharixurob, Otto Kampari, Strike Vilakazi, Warmgat oder The Dakotas. Sie waren die ungekrönten Popstars ihrer Zeit. Ihre musikalische Bandbreite umspannte alle Musikstile und Instrumente. Doch ihre Songs wurden unterdrückt und verboten. Heute sind sie Lehrer, Busfahrer, Näherinnen oder mittellos, manche sind in der Gosse gelandet, viele bereits verstorben, kaum einer von ihnen macht heute noch Musik.

Die Ausstellung ist täglich von 11-20 Uhr geöffnet. Das Begleitprogramm zum Nachlesen finden Sie. Führungen für Schulklassen oder Gruppen nach Voranmeldung.

Kuration: Aino Moongo, Sabine Linn, Ulf Vierke

Künstlerische Leitung: Thorsten Schütte

Kontakt: Simone Knapp (Mobil: 01637302888), Kirchliche Arbeitsstelle Südliches Afrika KASA

REMARKS BY AMBASSADOR MARTIN ANDJABA ON THE OCCASION OF THE OPENING OF THE EXHIBITION STOLEN MOMENTS – NAMIBIAN MUSIC HISTORY UNTOLD

11 OCTOBER 2021

Ms Petra Olschowski, State Secretary,
Ms Simone Knapp of Ecumenical Service on Southern Africa (KASA)
Mr Thorsten Schütte, Artistic Director of the exhibition,
Honorary Consul of the Republic of Namibia, Proff. Dr. Andreas Staudacher,
Ms Aino Moongo, Curator
Members of the Curator Team,
Mr. Jackson Wahengo and Band, The Stolen Moments
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is a privilege for me to be saying a few words this evening at the invitation of Ms Simone Knapp, for the opening of the Exhibition “Stolen Moments. Namibian Music History Untold”, for two reasons:

Firstly, I admire the Stolen Moments research team for their hard work and dedication. The several years of commitment and research they have put into this project is highly commendable.

Secondly, the exhibition encapsulates both bitter and sweet, as it chronicles intimate stories, songs and experiences of those who shaped Namibian pop culture during some of Namibia’s darkest, most repressive years of Apartheid, a period that marks some of the harshest years of racial discrimination under the South African Apartheid regime that followed German colonialism.

When I first heard about the exhibition, I was attracted by the title, Stolen Moments, printed in large letters on the poster advertising this exhibition, which has been travelling wide and far from London, to Basel, via Berlin and now Stuttgart. I have been told that the exhibition will also be viewed in Namibia next year. The title is fitting in that it reflects how “moments were stolen” through the censoring, suppressing and prohibiting of music and cultural expression by the Apartheid regime.

(...) klicken Sie bitte hier, um die Rede als pdf Version weiter zu lesen.

Go to top